Tuesday, September 4, 2012

4 September - Day 134 - Summer Slopes in September

From Campsite above pond (Mile 2313) to Sheep Lake (Mile 2334.1)

Total PCT Miles: 21.1

William O. Douglas Wilderness and Rainier National Park.

Hoot-ta hoot hoot hoot! Hoot-ta hoot hoot hoot! Sean-o here. It's midnight and I'm awake listening to a Great Horned Owl across Sheep Lake and waiting for sleep to return. Not as cold tonight, but still moisture is condensing on the rain fly.




We'll soon crack the "300 miles to go" barrier as we race late summer northward through the Cascades. We also seem to be racing holes--holes in the top of my shoes, a hole in my sleeping sheet I had to sew up, and holes in all of our socks. (Sorry Smartwool; always loved you, but your socks and shirts don' have what it takes for thru-hiking.) There also seem to be holes in our stomachs that no amount of ramen and Heath bars can fill. Chris especially could go all locust on a Chinese buffet and wreck their profit margin for a week. He'd probably get arrested. :-)

With the end approaching, I've got a bit of the midnight worries: returning to Boulder and finding a new place to live, getting the money flowing again, etc. I try not to let it derail my enjoyment of these amazing places and this amazing experience, but sometimes the frets leak in. The trail still has things to tell me.

One thing I don't have to worry about is my mom. She came through the procedure with honors and a clean bill o' health. Got the text from my sister Lynne while atop a remote ridge in the Wm. O. Douglas Wilderness and let out a whoop. Reached her tonight and she was curled up on the couch waiting for Michelle O. to speak at the DNC. All's right with the world.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment